New Jersey Lawyers with Offices in Bergen County, and Meeting Locations throughout Northern, Central & Southern New Jersey
If you are faced with a difficult legal issue, we understand this can be a very stressful time for you and your family. Clear, professional advice from an experienced and qualified New Jersey attorney often helps alleviate stress and provides hope for the future. When you work with a compassionate and settlement-oriented attorney you establish mutual respect and cooperation with the other side. This commonly results in the discovery of “win-win” approaches that maintain everyone’s dignity and their net worth, so that both can move on to successful lives after the case is resolved.
At the Aretsky Law Group, P.C., our attorneys are experienced in various types of law and provide quality, attentive service to each and every one of our clients. Our New Jersey attorneys take the time to explain every phase of a case to ensure our clients make informed decisions throughout the matter. We welcome our clients’ questions and concerns.
Free Consultation and Case Reviews to Answer Your Questions
We offer a free initial case review in order to explain your legal options in your case and provide you with insight into the legal process. Whether you need to discuss your legal options in a divorce, in a personal injury claim, or in a criminal case, our New Jersey attorneys can help.
Please share your situation and goals by calling 201-580-3411 or use our 24/7 Live Chat. Aretsky Law Group, P.C., has offices in Bergen County and meeting locations throughout Northern, Central & Southern New Jersey.
Our Areas of Practice:
Personal Injury Law
Personal injury claims are often traumatic, stressful, and confusing. Insurance companies begin calling victims almost immediately after an incident has occurred, pressuring them to settle for far less than the claim may actually be worth. Our attorneys will not let the insurance companies intimidate you.
Our Personal Injury & Medical Malpractice Attorney, Douglas D. Messineo, Esq. has obtained six and seven figure verdicts or settlements for many injury victims throughout the state of New Jersey. During his 20+ years practicing personal injury and medical malpractice law, Mr. Messineo has build a stellar reputation for legal acumen, persuasive advocacy, and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. Mr. Messineo is a guest lecturer at Fordham Law School and teaches portions of a medical malpractice seminar.
Some of our notable verdicts or settlements include:
- A $5 million settlement for a patient who was rendered quadriplegic after being negligently treated in an emergency room
- A $3.5 million settlement for a wrongful birth claim after providers failed to perform prenatal testing
- A $2 million settlement in a case involving negligent post-operative transfer by nurses in a recovery room
- A $1.2 million settlement on behalf of a pedestrian who was struck by a vehicle
- A $1 million settlement in a medical malpractice case where the doctor’s negligence caused blindness
Aretsky Law Group, P.C. handles various types of personal injury claims, including:
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice claims are appropriate when a medical professional causes a patient harm due to a negligent act or omission. Medical malpractice claims may be filed against physicians, nurses, chiropractors, physical therapists, and other medical professionals.
- Motor vehicle accidents: When a driver causes an accident and injures someone else, that driver is responsible for compensating the victim for his or her injuries.
- Slip and fall claims: If a property owner failed to remove a hazard from the property, or failed to warn visitors about a hazard, the property owner may be liable if a victim is injured.
- Dog bites: When a dog bites or otherwise attacks an injured victim, the dog owner may be responsible for the victim’s injuries. In fact, in bite claims, New Jersey law provides that dog owners are strictly liable for the victim’s damages.
We have successfully represented personal injury victims with dozens of different types of injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limb
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Broken bones and fractures
- Cuts and lacerations
- Puncture wounds
- Psychological conditions
- Internal injuries
- Muscle and ligament injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
Personal Injury & Accident Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to bring a personal injury claim?
At the Aretsky Law Group, you do not owe us a dime unless we recover compensation in your case.
How can I help my attorney in my case?
It is important to stay in touch with your attorney throughout the case and provide regular updates on any treatment you are receiving. Make sure you are always honest with your attorney, even if you think the truth may hurt your claim.
Should I talk to the insurance adjusters? They keep calling me.
You should not speak to an insurance adjuster without the guidance of an experienced personal injury attorney. The insurance companies will try to settle a claim for as little money as possible—regardless of whether the settlement is actually fair to you. Statements you make to the insurance adjuster may be used against you to weaken the claims in your case.
Can I seek treatment from my own doctors?
Yes. It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible after a personal injury claim, as many insurance companies will argue that your injuries were not as severe as you claim if you did not seek treatment right away.
Divorce and Family Law
Family law and divorce cases are among the most difficult claims individuals may be involved in. Whereas there may be no true “winners” in these claims, the attorneys at Aretsky Law Group, P.C. will ensure that your legal rights and the legal rights of your children are protected throughout the case. Matters we handle for our clients include:
- Contested divorces: A contested divorce is one in which the parties disagree as to how at least one of the issues should be settled in a divorce.
- Non-contested divorces: In a non-contested divorce, the parties generally agree as to how the various issues should be addressed.
- Child custody matters: Whether a parent wants to relocate, wants to gain more time with the children, or if the parents simply disagree on time-sharing matters, our attorneys can help.
- Property matters: Often, the division of assets and debts is one of the most contested issues in a divorce. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and work hard to obtain favorable results for our clients.
- Adoptions: Whether you are interested in a relative adoption, a stepparent adoption, or an independent adoption, our attorneys are experienced in all of these legal procedures.
- Annulments: In certain situations, New Jersey law provides that marriages may be annulled. Our attorneys have experience in annulments and ensure the procedure is completed properly.
- Father’s rights: If the parties are not married at the time of a child’s birth, the father risks losing his rights. Our attorneys are experienced in declarations of paternity and in related court procedures.
- Grandparents’ rights: Grandparents are allowed to file a petition for visitation with their grandchildren. However, these cases are quite limited and grandparents may only apply for visitation under limited circumstances. Our attorneys will explain your options for grandparent visitation.
- High net worth divorces: Our attorneys are experienced in high net worth divorces where the parties own millions of dollars worth of assets.
- Domestic partnerships and civil unions: Civil unions and domestic partnerships provide different types of rights and are unique from marriages. Our attorneys are experienced in these relationships and the rights they provide the parties.
- Separation: In New Jersey legal separation is a voluntary act by the parties. Before signing any agreement that delineates the various matters in your separation, you should speak with an experienced attorney.
- Alimony: In many marriages, one spouse is entitled to alimony, or spousal support, from the other spouse. New Jersey judges consider many factors when determining whether an alimony award is appropriate. Our attorneys understand how to make a strong case in these claims.
- Prenuptial agreements: Before marrying, the parties may create a written contract that describes how matters will be handled in the event of a divorce. With our attorneys’ guidance, you will know that your rights are protected before signing such a contract.
- Post-divorce modifications: Often, after a divorce, the terms of the court order no longer apply to the parties. In such an event, it is necessary to modify the original court order. Our attorneys are experienced in post-divorce modification proceedings.
- Child support: The custodial parent is entitled to monetary support from the other parent. Our attorneys have pursued child support on behalf of many of our clients.
- Divorce mediation: Mediation is an excellent tool that helps the parties reach an agreement on some, if not all, matters in their case. Our attorneys have helped clients settle even the most highly contested claims.
- Paternity: Either the mother or the father of a child may seek a declaration of paternity through the family court. Our attorneys have represented both mothers and fathers in these proceedings.
New Jersey Family Law and Divorce Frequently Asked Questions
What if my spouse or partner makes up lies about me in a family court case?
Our attorneys are experienced in rebuffing the often ridiculous claims opposing parties make in these cases. With careful investigation and preparation, we will show the court that these allegations are false.
Will I lose my property in a divorce?
All marital assets and debts the parties acquired during the marriage must be divided in a divorce. Property must be divided equitably between the parties—not equally. If you wish to keep an asset, you may be able to do so as long as it is fair to your spouse.
Will I have to go to trial?
A large portion of family court cases does not ever have to go to trial. The majority of cases settle.
Hiring a Divorce Attorney in New Jersey
We know that divorce is painful, stressful, emotionally debilitating and dehumanizing. Our goal is to help you minimize the negative effects of divorce on you, your children, and others affected by the divorce.
Whether your situation calls for careful negotiation or tough, no nonsense, advocacy, you can rely on the team at Aretsky Law Group, P.C., to fight for your rights and protect your interests at a reasonable cost. The team practices both divorce mediation and litigation. They will help you to understand the pros and cons of both approaches. In either case, they put their years of experience and training towards reaching an amicable dissolution.
For your free consultation, please share your situation and goals on our intake form (on the right). We will call you within 24 hours and begin taking away the stress associated with the legal aspects of this trying circumstance. Or call right now at 800-537-4154 .
Child Custody Law
At Aretsky Law Group, our compassionate Child Custody Lawyers represent you in all child custody and parenting time legal issues.
There are two basic types of child custody: Residential Custody and Legal Custody.
- Legal Custody in New Jersey is usually joint. It is the right to make major decisions regarding the children including healthcare, educational and religious upbringing issues.
- Residential custody, often called physical custody, refers to where the child will live.
Our law firm assists clients with child custody matters such as:
- Residential Custody in New Jersey
- Shared Residential Custody
- Sole Residential Custody
- Legal Custody in New Jersey
- Parenting Time Plans
- Child Relocation
- Post decree modifications
For legal matters that affect child custody, you need the assistance of an attorney with a clear knowledge of New Jersey law. Aretsky Law Group, P.C., Attorneys Can Help!
Child Protection and Permanency and Abuse Defense
At the Aretsky Law Group, our attorneys are experienced in matters involving Child Protection and Permanency. These cases involve allegations of abuse or neglect against a child. If you have been accused of child abuse or neglect, you must take these claims very seriously and seek legal counsel right away. You could possibly lose custody of your children if the Court substantiates these claims. Our attorneys have handled numerous child abuse cases for our clients.
Will I lose the right to see my children?
The answer to this question varies depending on the circumstances. Our attorneys will work hard to protect your time with your children as much as legally possible.
Domestic violence is a major cause of death among women. Of course, men suffer from domestic violence as well. Domestic violence may be physical, financial, emotional, verbal, or psychological. Our attorneys have helped numerous individuals remove themselves from situations involving domestic violence.
What rights do I have if I am a victim of domestic violence?
If you are the victim of domestic violence, you may be able to have a temporary or permanent restraining order granted in your case. These orders make it illegal for the abuser to contact you or come around you. In addition, your abuser may be arrested.
Criminal Defense Law
If you have been accused of a crime, you must seek legal counsel as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected. Statements you make to investigators, prosecutors, or law enforcement officers may be used against you in Court. The criminal defense attorneys at the Aretsky Law Group have obtained favorable results for many of our criminal clients, including a reduction or even a dismissal of charges.
Our attorneys have handled the following types of criminal and traffic matters:
Do I need an attorney even if I am innocent?
Yes. An attorney will ensure that your rights are protected and that evidence is not wrongfully used against you.
How can I help my attorney throughout my case?
First, you must be honest with your attorney about the facts of the case. Provide all possible witness names and other types of evidence to your attorney as soon as you can. Stay in touch with your lawyer.
Our attorneys ensure that the legal rights of employees and independent contractors are protected. We have assisted clients with discrimination claims, wage violation claims, family and medical leave matters, and other such employment law issues.
How do I know if I have a claim against my employer?
You should speak with an experienced employment law attorney to determine if your rights were violated. If there is no single major incident that implies you were discriminated against, there may be a pattern or history that equals discrimination.
Real Estate Law
Whether you are the buyer or seller in a commercial transaction or in a residential transaction, the real estate attorneys at Aretsky Law Group can help. Our attorneys conduct numerous closings every year. For more information regarding our services, please visit our real estate law services page.
What does the real estate lawyer do prior to the closing?
Prior to closing, the attorney makes sure that all documents are in order so that the closing may occur. The attorney also ensures that there are no issues with the title (ownership history) to the property.
Legal Agreement Drafting
Our attorneys are skilled contract drafters and negotiators. We have experience drafting and enforcing:
- Prenuptial agreements
- Marital settlement agreements
- Post-nuptial agreements
- Reconciliation agreements
- Cohabitation agreements
- Domestic partnership agreements
- Durable powers of attorney and proxy directives
For more information, view our Legal Agreement Drafting and other related legal services page.
Do I need an attorney to review a contract before I sign it?
Contracts often contain detailed clauses with quite a bit of legal jargon. To ensure you understand what you are signing, it is best to have an attorney review the contract first.
For Your Free Case Review and High Quality Representation, Please Contact the Aretsky Law Group, P.C. Today
The seasoned Ne Jersey attorneys at the Aretsky Law Group, P.C. are proud to serve clients throughout New Jersey. Our attorneys have the skill and expertise necessary to achieve favorable results. To schedule a free consultation, call 800-537-4154 or email the firm directly at email@example.com.
Aretsky Law Group, P.C.
19 Main St #200
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Hours: Open today · Open 24 hours