Post-Divorce Modification

Respected Family Law Attorneys Handling
Post-Divorce Modifications in New Jersey

Almost any aspect of a divorce settlement can be modified, even after the divorce is final. At Aretsky Law Group, P.C., in Ridgewood, New Jersey, we regularly work with men and women seeking post-divorce modifications of specific aspects of property settlement agreements.

Experienced Post-Divorce Modifications Lawyers

People often experience significant changes after a divorce. While the terms of a property settlement agreement may have been appropriate at the time the divorce was granted, months or years later, this may no longer be true. New Jersey courts will not make arbitrary changes to divorce agreements. The court requires evidence of a significant change in circumstances prior to granting a change.

Given the right circumstances, any aspect of the divorce agreement can be modified. However, the areas where changes are most often sought include:

  • Child Custody and Visitation – Changes in child custody and visitation are granted in cases where a parent has become unfit. They can also be changed in cases where the custodial parent is seeking to move the child out of state. This is often referred to as parental move-aways.
  • Child Support – Changes in child support are typically granted when the non-custodial parent experiences a significant income change or has another child.
  • Alimony – Changes in alimony can be granted in situations where the spouse receiving payments or making payments has a significant change in economic circumstance.
  • Property Distribution – Changes in the distribution of marital property can be made when there was fraud in the disclosure of assets when the marital estate was determined.

Our attorneys work closely with our clients to understand their unique circumstances. We are committed to aggressively representing our client’s interests. However, we are equally dedicated to providing informed legal advice and representation. When we do not believe that sufficient grounds exist for modifying a property settlement agreement, we let our clients know.

Contact our New Jersey Family Law Attorneys

If you need legal advice or representation regarding a post-divorce modification, please contact Aretsky Law Group, P.C. in Bergen County, New Jersey. Our attorneys can be reached by phone at 800-537-4154, by e-mail, or by filling out the intake form on our Contact page.